The Vino Vino Situation goes classic: Chianti Classico San Felice from Tuscany's most iconic wine region

Chianti. One of the most famous wines in the world. In fact, it’s not easy to talk about it, considering its many versions, the attempts to reproduce it in other countries, and the general confusion around it. I could write an entire article only about that! But today, let’s focus on a great Chianti Classico

Let me clarify. According to Italian and European regulations, Chianti DOCG can only come from the Tuscan provinces of Florence, Siena, Arezzo, Pisa, Pistoia, and Prato. Within this territory, there are several sub-areas of production, corresponding to stricter DOCG certifications. Chianti Classico is one of them (more info on Italian wine labels here).

RELATED: 20 Italian Wines You Should Try, One for Each Region

Azienda San Felice is right in the heart of the Chianti Classico area, in Castelnuovo Berardenga to be precise. The winery is located in a quaint little town that itself is worth a visit. The Azienda San Felice has an extension of more than 140 hectares. They do a great job at selecting, protecting, and researching on Sangiovese and other grape varieties, in collaboration with the University of Florence. The Azienda also owns other vineyards around Montalcino and Siena.

chianti classico area of production

The area of production of Chianti Classico (Photo by dan taylor)

Il Grigio” (the Gray one) Chianti Classico is produced with 80% of Sangiovese grapes. The remaining 20% comes from other native grapes, including Abrusco, Pugnitello, Malvasia Nera, Ciliegiolo, and Mazzese, which are carefully selected to give complexity to the wine and make it unique. Each variety is processed separately, and the wine is refined in large wooden barrels for 24 months.

RELATED: Italian Classics Done Right at La Bruschetta Restaurant, Los Angeles 

The color is ruby red. At the nose, you should distinguish the typical notes of violets and berries. Tannins and acidity are perfectly balanced. The refining process in wood completes the flavor without overcoming the rest.

Whether you’re going to Tuscany or not, the ideal pairing of this Chianti Classico is with “bistecca alla fiorentina“, aka Florentine steak, obviously. In general, this is a wine that goes well with high-quality grilled meats.

Enjoy your wine!


Wine-maker:San Felice
Name of wineChianti Classico DOCG “Il Grigio” Gran Selezione
Region: Tuscany
Type: Still red
Grapes: Sangiovese 80%, 20% other native grapes
Price: About $20 


Working in wineries across Italy, I get to see how much passion goes into each bottle. With the Vino Vino Situation, every week I present recommend great Italian wines. These reviews are unsponsored and unsolicited. Salute!